Be careful! Cover your Internet tracks. If you are experiencing intimate partner abuse and you have surfed this and/or other websites with similar content, you will have left a trail of evidence behind for others to find.
Following these steps should clear your browser's history and cache files; this does not guarantee, however, that information will not be left on your browser.
Clearing history & cache files in:
- If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or an older version, click on Tools in the menu.
- Click on Internet Options.
- In the General tab under Temporary Internet Files, Click on Delete Files. This will clear your browser's cache.
- Under History, Click on Clear History. This will clear the pages you've recently visited.
- If you are using Internet Explorer 7, click on Tools.
- In the General tab under Internet Options, click Delete under Browsing History and that will delete everything from the new dialogue window that appears.
- Open the Firefox browser and navigate to the Tools menu (for Windows users) or the Firefox menu (for Mac users)
- Click the Tools drop down menu and then click Clear Private Data.
- If you are using a newer version of Firefox, you can click Tools drop down menu and then click Clear Recent History.
- Press the “OK” or “Clear Now” button (Windows) or simply close the preferences box (Mac). Your cache will now be clear.
- From the Safari menu, click Empty Cache.
- When asked “Are you sure you want to empty the cache?” click Empty.
- From the Safari menu, click Preferences.
- From the Security dialog box, click Bookmarks.
- Click Show Cookies.
- From the Cookie dialog box, click to choose a cookie, and click Remove. Alternatively, if you want to delete all cookies, click Remove All.
- Click Done.
- In the menu, click on Edit.
- Click on Preferences.
- In the left-hand column, Click on Navigator and then on the right side click on Clear History. This will clear the pages you've recently visited.
- Underneath that, click on Clear Location Bar. This will clear the list of sites in your browser's location bar.
- Back in the left-hand column, click on Advanced. Click on Cache and then click on Clear Disk Cache. This will clear your browser's cache.
- In the menu, click on My AOL.
- Click on Preferences.
- Click on the WWW icon and then under Temporary Internet Files click on Delete Files.
- Under History click Clear History.
Cover your email tracks:
- Be sure to delete any outgoing and incoming emails
- Change your email password often (at least once a month)
- Print all threatening and harassing emails to use as evidence of criminal activity.
Do not handle the situation alone - contact your local YWCA for resources, support and help.