Addressing Online Hate
Block Hate: Building Resilience against Online Hate Speech is a four-year research and knowledge mobilization project funded by Public Safety Canada’s Community Resilience Fund. It will work with a variety of sectors to co-create concrete solutions for online hate speech and hate crime in communities across Canada.
The overall objective of this project is to improve community resilience by developing technological intervention tools to prevent, address and report online hate speech through community-based research.
It will strengthen civil society responses at the national and local levels through engagement with the information, communication, and technology sector as well as local communities in creating and sharing counter-narratives against Anti-Black racism, Anti-Indigenous racism, Islamophobia and xenophobic or racist discourses. The project will target youth aged 14 to 30 in communities across Canada with a focus on youth experiencing marginalization including young women and non-binary youth, Black, Indigenous and youth of colour, LGBTQ2S+ youth, religious minorities, and youth with disabilities.
The project is comprised of four components: research and knowledge mobilization, creating partnerships with a coalition of stakeholders, building tools to combat hate speech in Canada, and capacity building for community actors.
- YWCA Canada Press Release on Tuesday, October 20th, 2020
- Government of Canada Press Release on Tuesday, October 20th, 2020
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Announces YWCA Canada’s Block Hate Initiative in Press Conference on Wednesday, October 21st, 2020
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Highlights YWCA Canada’s Block Hate During Question Period on Thursday, October 22nd, 2020
- CEO of YWCA Canada – Maya Roy’s Op-Ed in National Newswatch – October 22nd, 2020
- YWCA Canada’s Research Coordinator Rebecca Pacheco was on a panel discussion focused on Cyberconsent on September 30th, 2020 – hosted by Simon Fraser University
For more information about the program, please contact us at email@example.com.
Block Hate: Building Resilience against Online Hate Speech is funded by the Government of Canada, Public Safety Canada.
YWCA Canada Resources:
- A quick guide on sexual image based abuse
- A Rights Guide for Girls, Young Women & Gender Nonconforming Youth